Comprehensive Veterinary Surgical Services
We offer a full range of surgical procedures including spay/neuter, abdominal surgeries, feline declaws, bump/mass removals, and oral surgery. Our state-of-the-art surgical suite is equipped with the most advanced technology for optimal surgical conditions. Immediately accessible is our veterinary intensive care unit, which is ideal for post-op patients that require critical care or constant supervision.
Prior to surgery, patients undergo a pre-anesthetic exam and blood tests to ensure they are good candidates for anesthesia. Before, during, and after surgery, your pet is continuously monitored by our veteriarians and certified veterinary technicians to ensure he or she is responding appropriately to the anesthesia, other medications, and the surgery itself. Our monitoring equipment includes an ECG for heart rate and rhythm, oxygen saturation, temperature, and blood pressure.
Pain relief before, during, and after any surgical procedure has a profound impact on how well our patients recover. It also significantly affects their attitude and activity once they return home. When it is time for your pet to go home, we will address any questions or concerns you may have about surgery, including the effects of anesthesia, pain management, and post-operative care.
What makes surgery at Odyssey Veterinary Care unique?
We understand that anesthesia and surgery can be a very scary thing for pet owners. That is why we have developed a surgical program that makes safety and successful outcomes our first priority.
Our surgeries include:
- A customized surgical plan that addresses your pet’s specific needs, from your pre-surgical consultation to discharge and aftercare education.
- Pre-anesthetic blood work to evaluate kidney and liver function, electrolyte levels, red/white blood cell count, and platelet count to ensure the patient can safely undergo anesthesia.
- Pre-surgical medication, including anti-anxiety and sedatives, to ensure your pet is completely relaxed and sleepy long before anesthesia is introduced.
- The use of the safest injectable and gas anesthetics available so patients remain comfortably asleep. Patients are intubated to ensure effective anesthesia and oxygen administration.
- Fluids to help maintain blood pressure levels and facilitate the elimination of the anesthesia when the surgery is complete.
- An injectable antibiotic to ward off post-op infections when indicated.
- State-of-the-art equipment to monitor your pet’s heart, lungs, oxygen saturation levels, temperature, and blood pressure.
- A certified veterinary technician to monitor your pet throughout his or her surgical process, from anesthetic induction, throughout the surgical procedure itself, and during post-op recovery.
- The continual presence of an experienced veterinarian to perform the surgery and address any medical complications that may arise.
- Recovery from surgery in our comfortable and fully-equipped ICU with continuous monitoring.
- Pain management before, during, and after your pet’s surgery, which often includes medications to take home to ensure your pet’s speedy and pain-free recovery.
At Odyssey Veterinary Care, you will always receive a customized estimate that details the costs of any surgical procedures. While our services are always priced competitively, these estimates allow our clients to see that not all surgical programs are equal in quality or safety. We feel that a lower price tag is not worth the risks associated with forgoing items such as pre-surgical blood work, pain medications, proper anesthesia monitoring, and other safety measures.
Surgery can sometimes be an unexpected occurrence. We want what is best for your furry friend, which is why we are always willing to work with our clients who may have financial concerns via CareCredit or a custom payment plan.
- Orthopedic procedures including knee surgery and CCL repair
- One of the most common causes of hind limb lameness in companion animals is due to damage to the cranial cruciate ligament (CCL). The function of the cruciate ligament is to prevent the tibia (the lower part of a dog’s hind leg) from slipping forward out from under the femur (the upper part of a dog’s hind leg).
A healthy knee operates much like a hinge. When the CCL is torn or stretched, the knee joint is allowed to make a sliding motion, which creates trauma within the joint. This leads to wearing of the cartilage, causing pain and lameness. Most cases of CCL rupture will require surgery to stabilize and/or reconstruct the knee joint.
At Odyssey Veterinary Care, we have professional relationships with board-certified specialists that we bring into our facility to perform orthopedic procedures such as cranial cruciate ligament repairs. Pre-surgical blood work, anesthesia, monitoring, and all medications used before, during, and after the procedure are administered by the veterinarians and technicians at Odyssey.
Other surgeries done by specialists in our practice include cancer surgery, oral and nasal surgery, and reconstructive surgery after large mass removals.
We understand that surgery performed in emergency and specialty facilities can be expensive and require travel. Our new and existing clients can take comfort in knowing that should the need ever arise they have access to these specialized orthopedic surgeries in a facility they trust.
Odyssey goes above and beyond my expectations, and truly cares about my dog. We will always come back to Odyssey and highly recommend it to anyone who asks!
Dr. Bruss is great—he is very kind and caring. He called us several times to explain our options and didn’t pressure us to make a particular decision.
My dog sees Dr. Stokes for his vet care and she is the best vet ever. She understands my dog’s unique needs and I highly recommend them!
No matter which vet we've seen, they’ve always been loving and compassionate whether we were there just for yearly vaccinations or for something a bit more serious.
I am in love with all of the staff at this facility. If I could, I would want to be treated there, but sadly, they only take the four legged types...
Wouldn’t go anywhere else! I feel surrounded by people that love animals as much as I do. Wouldn’t change a thing.
Services are very reasonably priced and we've never felt like we had any unnecessary procedures or products pushed on us. we really feel that we can trust Dr. Bruss and Odyssey Veterinary Care with our cats’ health.
— Onion Girl
Dr. stokes has seen our family through kitten to senior cat, puppy and loss of dog, new puppy and everything in the middle! We think the care our animals get here is top notch!
Great people, great care! You've all made such a difference in my life and Abby's too. Thanks Odyssey Staff!
When they prescribed my dog eye drops for an infection, they gave me the instructions and then called me within a 48 hour period to ask me how the medication was going and if I had any questions.
They are very friendly and very thorough. The dog loves them, and she’s shy, so that’s a good thing. We have always had a lot of confidence in what they have told us.
They happily accommodate our special request to see our big dogs in their fenced back yard, since our 100-pound German Shepherd gets nervous in a small examination room.
We bring our dog to Odyssey Vet Clinic and will continue to do so as long as we live in this area. They are the best vets we’ve ever had.
They are very friendly, and they always remind you of when your appointments are. They are the top veterinary hospital in Madison. They are very good.